Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Virginia

1st request for documents and interragatories

I am representing myself in a civil suit against a former employer. He has hired a team of three lawyers. I have answered their 1st request for documents and interragatories but they will not answer mine. Do I now send a second request?

James McKinnon McKinnon & Associates, PLC

Re: 1st request for documents and interragatories

No. You must first try and work it out with your former employer’s attorney. Ask him or her why they are not responding. If they are objecting try to work out a compromise. If you still can get nothing from them file a “Motion to Compel” with the Court through the Clerk of Court noting you have tried to work it out with your former employer’s attorney.

Be sure you include a “Certificate of Service” that states that you sent a copy of the Motion to your former employer’s attorney. You will need to use such a certificate with anything you file with the Court.

Then call the Clerk’s office to get dates and times for the Court to hear your Motion. Ask your former employer’s attorney which dates fit his or her schedule, confirm and reserve the date and time with the Clerk of Court and then file a “Notice of Hearing” with the Court through the Clerk. Good luck.

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Virginia

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms

Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA