Legal Question in Insurance Law in Virginia

My health insurance requires all labwork be performed by LabCorp. My doctor knows what insurance I have, and his office did a random drug test on me (urine) to make sure I am taking the pain meds he prescribed. I reitterated to the girl, when she took my urine, it has to go to LabCorp, or my insurance wont pay. The doctors office sent it to a different lab, my health insurance PAID the unauthorized lab, and they lab would not return the money after my insurance company told them they shouldn't have been paid. Now my insurance company is telling me I owe THEM the $1200 they paid to the lab. I am disabled and have no income right now. Do I legally owe this money to my health insurance carrier, after they paid it to someone they should't have?

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,

Michael Kearns

[email protected]

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law

Yes, you may ("legally owe this money"), but that doesn't mean that you're necessarily precluded from negotiating some kind of settlement over this claim with your insurer that would be satisfactory to both you and it in order

to resolve this issue.

More Insurance Law questions and answers in Virginia

Insurance Law Legal Forms