Virginia  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

My roommate kicked me out asked me for the key but still wanted me to pay rent on top of that she kept my bedroom set and 60 inch tv my name wasnt on the lease so the officer there said I had to ask to go in and get my stuff she said no and now she is saying she got rid of my belongings I have receipts and serial numbers for proof of ownership. Can she do this what can I do

Answered on: 8/14/13, 8:39 pm by Michael E. Hendrickson

Go to your local general district court clerk/s office (civil division) and tell them

you want to file what's called a a Warrant in Detinue against this former roommate for the return of your personal property and in the event that this property cannot be returned (for whatever reason), you want to request that the court enter judgment against the defendant for the fair market value of the property at the time it was taken.

Attorney & Counsellor at Law 211 North Union Street Suite 100 Alexandria, 22314