Virginia  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 8/14/13, 3:22 am

My roommate kicked me out asked me for the key but still wanted me to pay rent on top of that she kept my bedroom set and 60 inch tv my name wasnt on the lease so the officer there said I had to ask to go in and get my stuff she said no and now she is saying she got rid of my belongings I have receipts and serial numbers for proof of ownership. Can she do this what can I do

1 Answer

Answered on: 8/14/13, 8:39 pm by Michael E. Hendrickson

Go to your local general district court clerk/s office (civil division) and tell them

you want to file what's called a a Warrant in Detinue against this former roommate for the return of your personal property and in the event that this property cannot be returned (for whatever reason), you want to request that the court enter judgment against the defendant for the fair market value of the property at the time it was taken.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Attorney & Counsellor at Law 211 North Union Street Suite 100 Alexandria, 22314

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

125 Answers given in the last few hours.

8663 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search