Legal Question in Legal Ethics in Virginia

Thank you so much again, you just answered a question I had posted for free regarding an attorney demanding that you sign a deed of trust on your house to pay ongoing fees, I appreciate it. I did refuse, and his having asked me was even after I told him that I wanted to drop the case and he wouldn't do it, after that he said we could do a payment plan and if I paid him within a year (which is not up yet and I was paying him) he would charge no interest. Instead, he sued me, citing the original fee agreement instead of the payment plan we agreed to by email, and I have appealed to Circuit Court. I believe you said I should go with a Bench trial instead of a Jury trial so I am considering that. He has peppered me with an Ad Damnum motion to try to get even more money, which I need to respond to, as well as interrogatories and first admissions. I only wish he had worked this hard on my case. If I needed any help from you would you have a problem with my asking you some questions, fee-based, by email, etc.? I am unfortunately really going to have to handle most of this myself, however I am pretty capable, a number of attorneys and even a Judge told me that I should have handled the whole thing (meaning the issue this person was hired for) myself. I realize, however, that there is a Lot that I don't know, particularly about how and when to respond to things and procedures, etc. Thank you very much for all of your help so far, I really appreciate it.

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law

Yes, I would be available to offer such assistance as you've described at reasonable cost (which I do from time to time on quite a regular basis for folks needing legal assistance but who cannot afford to retain an attorney on a full time basis.)

Your best approach is to contact me directly at my office in Alexandria,

Virginia, regarding such arrangements.

More Legal Ethics & Professional Responsibility questions and answers in Virginia