Legal Question in Military Law in Virginia

I am in the Army, and I have been paying my wife $600/mo. for the past two years. I have had her served with divorce papers more than once, however she wont sign them. I have already paid $600 for the divorce and cant afford any more fees. Every time she is served with papers, she calls and asks me if I want to keep it a contract marrage. All she wants is the money, she cant hold a job and is living on her own. Is there any way that I can stop paying her without getting introuble? (we have a seperation agreement that says I must pay her $600 each month.) I really need help, my credit score has gone down the drain becuase of her and I cant afford my bills. Thank you for your time, I assure you any info will be helpfil.

Asked on 9/14/10, 8:31 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You might want to have the JAG officer assigned to your unit to review your separation agreement to determine what you might now do about this $600 alimony payment(if anything---assuming that's what it is).

Furthermore, one doesn't need the cooperation of one's spouse in signing divorce papers in order to get a divorce in the Commonwealth or any place else in the United States.

Read more
Answered on 9/20/10, 5:43 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Military Law questions and answers in Virginia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now