Legal Question in Personal Injury in Virginia

I got an odd call from a police officer in the city I work in. She asked if I parked in a certain street, to which I confirmed I often do. Then she said she was investigating a "hit and run" and the woman who's car was damaged came out and noticed my car was "parked very close" to hers. So the officer said I needed to come in so they could inspect my car. This was all very confusing, and I would have remembered bumping someone's car, but I initially agreed to stop by the station the next day. The more I thought about it the less it made sense, so I left the officer a message asking her to send me the full details of what she was investigating before I'd agree to the inspection. Including why this was even a policy matter (this is not a small town).

So can they compel me to take my car in? If not, should I go anyway? Would rather not take an hour or more out of my workday if it can be avoided.

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law

No, simply tell these cops to get a warrant for probable cause to search your vehicle, and then leave it at that.

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Virginia