Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Virginia

Deed in lieu of foreclosure

My wife and I was married in 1997. She purchase a property from her parents in 2002. I maintain the property she collected rents. We are unofficially separated. She only made one payment this year. Her father threatened to foreclose. I had improve the property installing central air conditioning, relocating the kitchen, building a new bathroom, etc. She gave her father a deed in lieu of foreclosure without my knowledge. The property is worth $200,000. We owe $45,000. We were $3,500 in late payments. Her father never sent a demand for payment. I had a plan to pay him which i discussed with her. She decided to give the house back and tell me about it the next day while asking me to leave so we could be officially separated. What recourse do I have. By the way there is another house that is in her name with $300,000 in equity.

Asked on 9/17/06, 6:19 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Deed in lieu of foreclosure

Better get yourself an attorney(if you haven't already done so). Your marital claims for your various contributions to the property at issue will have to be settled in the course of your divorce.

Read more
Answered on 9/22/06, 4:02 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Virginia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now