Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Virginia

Can my friend change the locks to his house his wife wants a divorce rented her own place and moved out, even though they are both on the mortgage?

Asked on 2/12/12, 1:29 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Sure, but at this time he would have no right to bar his wife's entry to the

marital home and she could insist on her right to enter at any time

as a co-owner of the property. (Your friend, in other words, would

be well advised under these circumstances to have some spare keys made for

these new locks.)

Read more
Answered on 2/12/12, 2:20 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Virginia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now