Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Virginia

We moved out of a home 1 1/2 months before the lease and fulfilled the lease on an empty house. We wanted 1 1/2 months to clean. We had a professional cleaning service clean ($250) and carpet cleaning ($1000) 1 week after moving out. The management company, knowing this, entered the home and painted and painted the deck without our knowledge...we are still paying rent. Now they are suing us for painting, deck repair (none) and carpet replacement. This is a 4 year old rental. The management company did not do a walk thru but we did a document form with management companies logo documenting stains on the carpet. They claim they lost it. They did no walk thru with paper work too. It is $7300 suit. There will be no documentation on request to enter the home for upgrades and all the while we are paying rent. What do you think we need in court?

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law

My original response to your question (provided a week or so ago) remains the same, and, no, I'm not going to repeat it here.

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Virginia

Frank NatoliNatoli-Lapin, LLCNew York, NY