Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Virginia

Tenant skipped out without ever paying, no lease was used

To help pay the bills (incl. mortgage) I sought a housemate. One response seemed perfect. I never did a b.g. check or established any lease or contract. When he moved in, he claimed to have lost his job a few days previously, but said he was on Social Security (he is deaf) and would be able to pay the rent. For several days he kept promising to pay , and said he was going to the Soc. Sec. office to request an advance. He said he needed a letter stating hed be evicted if the rent was not paid, so I wrote one and gave it to him. He presumably went to Social Security and collected the check, but he moved out in the middle of the night. I have learned from his ex that scamming is a habit of his. There was no communication issue as I am an ASL interpreter and everything was understood by all. Id like to bring him to small claims court, not only for the rent but also to show that I won't just let him do that to me. Do I have any legal standing? I still have the letter of eviction he asked for, and some early e-mails. It's worth it to me just to bring him to court or mediation, even if I don't get any money from it. (I'd like to report his Soc. Sec. fraud too, but I bet they wont investigate such a small amount.)

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law

Re: Tenant skipped out without ever paying, no lease was used

As you've already suggested, file your case in small claims court or its equivalent.

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Virginia