Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Virginia

Unlawful Detainer

Is their a standard amount of time that you are given to vacate a premisis if the landlord recieves a writ of possesion in an unlawful detainer?

Glenn R. Tankersley Regency Legal Clinic

Re: Unlawful Detainer

Uh, yep. About two seconds after the sheriff hands it to you. My advice is: have a place to move to immediately or, at least, a place to store your furniture when the sheriff comes.

I assume this writ was obtained in General District Court. Now, if you noted appeal within ten days of the court's decision and posted an appeal bond within 30 days after the trial date, you can get a new trial in Circuit Court.

In any event, you probably ought to consider bankruptcy because, unless I miss my guess, this eviction is symptomatic of other, deeper problems, i.e., too much overall debt and too much outgo and not enough income. Bankruptcy, incidentally, ain't the end of the world. Very often it's the beginning of better things.

Good luck to you! I wish you well in this very difficult time in your life.

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Virginia