Legal Question in Tax Law in Virginia

I signed a contract while in school and accepted a 20k sign-on bouns for a 3yr contract. I also accepted a $3000/month stipend while in school that was to be deducted pre-tax every month for until the obligation was fulfilled after I began working. I am leaving the job early due to moving. I am being forced to repay $22556 within 30 days of my separation. Can I request a revised W2 to refile taxes and do I have any recourse if they refuse?

Asked on 8/11/11, 10:59 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Of course, you can request a revised W-2 to reflect your actual earnings for the year(s) in question, but if the company declines to issue one, you

can probably still refile your tax returns using the documentation regarding the

matter which you've received from the company (as well as a copy of

your cancelled check reflecting the repayment of these earnings).

Read more
Answered on 8/29/11, 7:20 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in Virginia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Tax and Taxation Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now