Legal Question in Traffic Law in Virginia

Failure to Obey Traffic Sign

I was driving 55mph in a 50mph speed zone on the right lane. I see two police squad cars on the right pulling some one over. I then slow down as I pass on the lane to the squad car's left. Another squad car then pulls me over from behind. The office tells me that she was following me for 2 miles and that she was pacing me at 65mph. I knew this wasn't right because plenty of speeding cars passed me on my left. After she gave me a ticket, I asked to see the radar gun just in case my speedometer was broken. She said she didn't clock me, only that she paced me. She said she was giving me a break on the speeding ticket, but gave me a ''Failure to Obey Highway Sign'' ticket instead. She said the sign I didn't follow was the 50mph sign. Do I have a chance to beat this in court?

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law

Re: Failure to Obey Traffic Sign

It will be your word and your credibility vs. that of the officer for the judge to evaluate

in coming to a decision in this matter.

It should be unecessary to remark further as to who may well have the advantage.

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Virginia