Legal Question in Traffic Law in Virginia

Failure to Obey Traffic Sign

I was driving 55mph in a 50mph speed zone on the right lane. I see two police squad cars on the right pulling some one over. I then slow down as I pass on the lane to the squad car's left. Another squad car then pulls me over from behind. The office tells me that she was following me for 2 miles and that she was pacing me at 65mph. I knew this wasn't right because plenty of speeding cars passed me on my left. After she gave me a ticket, I asked to see the radar gun just in case my speedometer was broken. She said she didn't clock me, only that she paced me. She said she was giving me a break on the speeding ticket, but gave me a ''Failure to Obey Highway Sign'' ticket instead. She said the sign I didn't follow was the 50mph sign. Do I have a chance to beat this in court?

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law

Re: Failure to Obey Traffic Sign

It will be your word and your credibility vs. that of the officer for the judge to evaluate

in coming to a decision in this matter.

It should be unecessary to remark further as to who may well have the advantage.

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Virginia

Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA