Virginia  |  Traffic Law

Is this legal, I was driving up a road within a neighborhood to a very heavy traveled business/neighborhood road (a right turn is only possible). There is a stop sign, to stop at before making that right turn. I made the stop and checked for cars and then procceded with my right turn. A Police officer was parked in a church parking lot on the heavy traveled road. There is a traffic light slightly passed the church where the officer is parked. There was one car ahead of me stopped at the read light, I stopped behind that car and then the officer pulled out of the church parking lot and was behind me. When light turned green and we started to move the officer then turn the lights of the car on and pulled me over and gave me a ticket for not stopping at the stop sign. I understand about the stop sign part. I want to know is it was legal for the officer to stop for it after pulling out of parking lot being stopped behind me then after light changes and we start moving, turns the lights on to stopp me.

Answered on: 10/11/11, 9:03 am by Michael E. Hendrickson

The officer can stop you anytime s/he has reasonable suspicion that you have

violated the law. However, that in no way implies that the officer will have the

evidence necessary to convince the court hearing the matter that in fact

you have committed such a violation.

Attorney & Counsellor at Law 211 North Union Street Suite 100 Alexandria, 22314