Virginia  |  Workers Comp

I was injured last year. I lost my leg and have had six subsequent surgeries. I'm on a lot of meds that make me hazy. The pain has also caused insomnia. I sleep an hour or two a night. Then after three days I pass out for 12-15 hours. Now workers comp wants me to start driving to all my appointments. Can they do that or do they have to provide me a ride. My appontments are 45 minutes to an hour away. I'm scared to drive 5 minutes.

Answered on: 6/11/13, 5:15 am by Jerry Lutkenhaus

Generally, the insurer is guided by and has to follow the treating doctor 's restrictions. If the doctor has restricted your driving then the insurer has to provide transportation. So your best bet is to discuss this with your treating doctor for this injury and request a note stating you need transportation to appointments. If you need additional advice, I can be reached at 1-804-358-4766 or 1-800-256-8862.

Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer 4906 Fitzhugh Ave Richmond, VA 23230-3519

Answered on: 6/19/13, 8:01 am by Peter M. Sweeny, Esq.

Your question points out the hazards of trying to navigate a worker's compensation claim on your own without an experienced and qualified attorney. There is a way to address your problem but it requires superior knowledge of the Virginia workers' compensation system. I have over 35 years of experience practicing Virginia workers' compensation. I have a whole section of my book, The Virginia Workers' Compensation Case Finder, dedicated to discussing medical issues. I would be happy to discuss these with you so that you can make an informed and intelligent decision about what to do. I am a member of the Larson's National Workers' Compensation Advisory Board and my practice is statewide. You can reach me at 1-800-945-7051 and review my credentials at http://lawyers.law.cornell.edu/lawyer/peter-m-sweeny-esq-620353.

Author:Virginia Workers' Compensation Case Finder LexisNexis Workers' Compensation Notable People 2009 Leesburg, VA 20176