Washington  |  Civil Litigation

my kids were watching a movie at the theater, with a friend and her mom. my 8 year old went to the lobby to throw away a candy wrapper. an employee noticed the wrapper and that it wasnt a kind they sell, so he told my 8 year old that she had to leave the theater, and go outside on the sidewalk to find another trash can to throw it away in. it was after 9 pm, dark, and my daughter was alone. the adult she was with at the movies, assumed she was in the restroom, so she didnt come looking for her. IS THIS LEGAL??? WHAT IF SHE HAD BEEN KIDNAPPED??

Answered on: 11/18/12, 10:40 am by Jonathan Baner

If there were any injuries then negligence would probably be the appropriate legal theory. It certainly isn't what I would advise a theater to do.

I've never heard of a 8 year old leaving a theater to throw away a candy wrapper.

Baner & Baner 724 S. Yakima Ave Tacoma, WA 98407

Answered on: 11/18/12, 6:40 pm by Gary Preble

I would suggest you write a letter to the owner of the theater requesting that the employee be dealt with. If you find their response unsatisfactory, I would suggest a letter to the editor of the local newspaper that would get the largest distribution.

Preble Law Firm, P.S. 2120 State Avenue NE Olympia, WA 98506