Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Washington

I am divorced. During the 2 years it took, my husband and I jointly filed bankruptcy prior to working out spousal support. This was recommended by our divorce attorneys. I put in my paperwork all my debt including my 3256.00 I currently owed my divorce attorney. ( I had already paid him 5000.00. My total bill is now 6002.00, he never took off the 3256.00 from the bankruptcy. I have been told by a friend that is an attorney , that I know I don't need to pay that amount. I am just to subtract that amount from the total and pay that amount and include a copy of the bankruptcy paperwork with it showing the amount that was owing at the time of bankruptcy. Is this true?

Matthew Johnson Johnson Legal Group, PLLC

What do you mean by "took off"? If the debt was included in the bankruptcy then the debt should have been discharged unless the debt was acquired after your bankruptcy was filed. If that was the case, then any amount that accrued after the dismissal is still outstanding. Your divorce attorney likely told you to file bankruptcy first so that he/she could get paid after the fact. Somewhat duplicitous

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Washington

Bankruptcy Law Legal Forms