Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Washington

Filing Bankruptcy

HI..I filed chapter 7 in 2002, with my now ex-husband. I am currently in the position due to divorce that I need to file again. I cannot file until next year, but in jam with my vehicle. I want to keep it but the payments are WAY to high for me to afford. Can I file chapter 13 on JUST my vehicle and then chapter 7 on remaining debt next yr? Thank YOu

Asked on 12/03/08, 8:46 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Thomas K. Atwood Thomas K. Atwood, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Filing Bankruptcy

If you are looking to get a discharge in your Chapter 13, you must wait 4 years from the date your discharged Chapter 7 was filed. So yes, it appears you can file a Chapter 13 if you otherwise qualify. Whether that will allow you to keep your vehicle for affordable payments depends on when the vehicle was purchased/financed, the amount due, the interest rate and other factors. You should consult with a qualified BK attorney to see if there are options that will work for you, and whether a "Chapter 13 now and Chapter 7 later" is advantageous. You might find that a Chapter 13 will accomplish all of your goals and allow you to keep your vehicle and still discharge the majority of your unsecured obligations. A Chapter 13 can be filed for little or no funds up front - even the filing fee can be paid through the Plan if you qualify.

Read more
Answered on 12/04/08, 11:30 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Washington

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Bankruptcy Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now