Washington  |  Criminal Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 9/25/13, 2:00 am

My son, 18yo, was stopped for speeding on the freeway in washington state. He was going 10 over the limit. He had a knife with him, in the car, that was apparently illegal, although he had no idea it was illegal.. It was not hidden, or on his person, but in the center console. The trooper did not see it, but my son, believing you should always tell an officer if you have a weapon in the car told him..and gave the knife to the officer when he asked for it. He was cited for dangerous weapon RCW 9.41.250. I know ignorance is not a viable defense but what should my son do, or expect. He is really worried about this.

1 Answer

Answered on: 9/26/13, 12:36 pm by Stan Glisson

If you can, speak to an attorney who practices in the the court where it happened before he goes to court. It is a crime, but generally not a very serious one. Most courts have some kind of diversion or other program that can keep this off of his criminal record.

Your situtation is unfortunately common, as stores in Washington sell illegal knives all the time.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Glisson, Witt & Altman 400 Warren Avenue, Suite 415 Bremerton, WA 98337

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search