Legal Question in DUI Law in Washington


Can Washington State issue a DUI with no proof that you were in control of a vehicle?

Asked on 3/14/07, 1:33 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Matthew King Wershow & Ritter, Inc. P.S.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Dui

As with most questions, the answer is "it depends." If the officer did not see you driving, you have a corpus delecti issue. The state has to prove that you were in physical control of the vehicle. If no such evidence exists, then a motion maybe brought to dismiss the case.

If, however, the State has proof that you were driving (such as a passenger's testimony or another witness) then the case may proceed.

I strenuously recommend you obtain counsel immediately. An attorney will raise various legal issues including seeking to suppress the breath test, the field sobriety tests, and other types of evidence.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Read more
Answered on 3/14/07, 1:40 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in Washington

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now