Legal Question in Family Law in Washington

inadequate representation

We lost a custody hearing because our lawyer was unprepared & didn't do what we asked of him. A top appeal lawyer reviewing the transcript said we couldn't win an appeal because of the ineptness of our lawyer at the hearing. What recourse do we have?

Elizabeth Powell ELizabeth Powell PS Inc

Re: inadequate representation

Did you talk about this with the appeals lawyer? What did they say?

Lawyers sometimes are unprepared, true. I can't tell from what you say here, so I don't want to venture an opinion as to whether your conclusion is correct or not, because I don't know enough to tell you.

Lawyers sometimes don't do what their clients want them to do. If there is a significant discrepancy between what the client wants and what the lawyer thinks is correct or right, the client's option is to fire the lawyer and the lawyer has the option to withdraw.

Lawyers also have duties to their clients. One of their duties is competent representation. If you are convinced that the lawyer's representation was not competent, consider contacting the Bar.

Elizabeth Powell

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Washington