Legal Question in Family Law in Washington

legal seperation

I would like to know if my husband closes our joint checking and savings accounts during our seperation what are my legal rights to spousal maintnance, if I haven't submitted legal seperation documents?

Asked on 4/02/03, 3:22 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Lori Wheat Lori L. Wheat, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: legal seperation

Spousal maintenance, also known as alimony, is based on the recipient's need and the payor's ability to pay. The fact that your spouse closed checking and savings accounts will likely not affect whether the Court will order spousal maintenance, unless the Court finds that it increases your need for spousal mainenance.

Either a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage or a Petition for Legal Separation must be filed to request spousal maintenance from the Court.

Absent a Court order, your spouse would need to agree to pay you spousal maintenance, and it would be wise to document such an agreement in writing in a Separation Contract.

Read more
Answered on 4/02/03, 4:12 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Washington

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now