Legal Question in Family Law in Washington

sign rights away

The farther of my baby wants to sign his rights away can I do this before the baby is born

Asked on 11/15/07, 11:18 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Elizabeth Powell ELizabeth Powell PS Inc
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: sign rights away

No for two reasons 1) The state has an interest in making sure that parents support their children, rather than the state, and 2)an unborn child doesn't exist for the purposes of "signing rights away".

If you are involved with another person, you and the father may be able to reach an agreement after the child is born about your new partner adopting your child. That will end the father's support obligation.

Hope this helps. Elizabeth Powell

Read more
Answered on 11/15/07, 12:29 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Washington

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now