Washington  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 7/03/13, 1:24 am

If my wife and I are separated, she marries someone else in another state, then divorces him, do I still have to complete the paperwork to divorce her myself, or is our marriage void since she married someone else?

1 Answer

Answered on: 7/03/13, 1:42 am by Amir John Showrai

At least as far as Washington law is concerned, her second marriage was never valid since her first marriage to you was never legally dissolved. Actually, she committed a crime in every state that I know of, when she entered a bigamous (second) marriage. As to your marriage, it isóbelieve it or notóstill legally valid and undissolved. Thus, you still do have to complete the paperwork to get it finalized.

If you are having trouble, get local counsel to help you complete the process and get it done right, so that you and she no longer have legal ties.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

The Pacific Law Firm, PLLC 520 Pike Street, Suite 2500 Seattle, WA 98101+1385

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

125 Answers given in the last few hours.

8663 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search