Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Washington

I live in the state and Washington and was wondering if I have a case for defamation? I have an ex-girlfriend who saw me with a female friend in public. I don't know what she was thinking but she is now trying to sue me for transmitting HSV-2 to her. Unfortunately for her I don't have HSV-2 and have test results to prove it. Because of her reckless actions I was publicly humiliated and some of my peers have dissociated themselves from me. But most importantly my female friend wasn't any drama dealing with my ex-girlfriend. Do I have a case?

Asked on 6/19/12, 1:24 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Christopher Steuart IT Forensics, Inc.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Defamation per se includes (false):

Allegations or imputations "injurious to another in their trade, business, or profession"

Allegations or imputations "of loathsome disease" (historically leprosy and sexually transmitted disease, now also including mental illness)

Allegations or imputations of criminal activity.

In the common law tradition, damages for such false statements are presumed and do not have to be proven.

Washington State has struck the statute on defamation, so your case would be reliant on the common law.

Whether there is anything you can collect against is another question that an attorney may ask.

Read more
Answered on 6/19/12, 11:42 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Washington

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now