Legal Question in Immigration Law in Washington

Employment Authorization and Advance Parole

If I file for both employment authorization and advance parole with my I-485 but due to some delay with the greencard I had to renew both how complicated will it be? And how early should I start filing for renewals?

Tahmina Watson Watson Immigration Law, LLC

Re: Employment Authorization and Advance Parole

Both the employment authorization and advance parole require 90 days to process. So, you will need to plan for filing 3 months in advance. Hope that helps. If you require any further assistance, please feel free to call my office.

Amir John Showrai The Pacific Law Firm, PLLC

If it were me, I'd file for a new Employment Authorization Document (EAD Card) 90 days before the expiration of the current card.

I would apply for the Advance Parole 90 days ahead of intended travel dates, although I find that if they can, USCIS will get it to you quicker, when you list your travel dates as being sooner than that.

Last, as an aside, I will tell you what I tell all my clients with pending adjustments of status to become legal permanent residents who now want advance parole: DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU ABSOLUTELY DO NOT HAVE TO DO IT.

The reason I am so against it is because there is a chance that you will have trouble returning and thus just add a lot of time to your pending I-485 and complications, such as loss of employment, and the difficulty associated with having to remain outside the US. If this is for a vacation- then take the vacation afterward. If it's to say goodbye to your dying father, then I understand, so long as you understand the risk of complications. There is no right or wrong answer here, but as I said, I am very much against such travel if it is in any way discretionary.

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Washington