Washington  |  Immigration Law

Immigration of a minor

My daughters boyfriend (17) entered the country on a vistor visa when he was 6. His father is a naturalized citizen. How would the father obtain citizenship for the son.

Answered on: 6/24/08, 11:12 am by James J. White, attorney

Re: Immigration of a minor

You'll want to start this process soon before the son ages out. Otherwise, it is a simple process of filing an I-130/I-485 with supporting documentation. Contact me directly if you'd like further assistance.

At your service,

Law Offices of Smith & White, PLLC 1019 Pacific Ave, Suite 1210 Tacoma, WA 98402

Answered on: 6/24/08, 2:16 pm by Sameer Kumar

Re: Immigration of a minor

He may already be a citizenship under the Child Citizenship Act. I am making the assumption that he is living with his father now (and has been). When you speak to an attorney make sure they are familiar with this Act. If it is not applicable to your daughter's boyfriend then the alternative is to file for Adjustment of Status for him. Feel free to call my office if you want to go through a complete consultation. We can walk you through all the necessary steps and see if there will be any red flags to be concerned about.

Law Offices of Sameer Kumar, P.C. PO Box 5905 Somerset, NJ 08875-5905

Answered on: 6/23/08, 8:18 pm by Tahmina Watson

Re: Immigration of a minor

His father can file a petition for an alien relative for his son to adjust his status. I think it should be relatively simple. If you would like any further assistance, please feel free to contact me. Best, Tahmina

Watson Immigration Law, LLC 1001 4th Avenue, Suite 3200 Seattle, WA 98154

Answered on: 6/23/08, 10:37 pm by Glen Prior

Re: Immigration of a minor

Find proof that the son entered the U.S. with a visa or was otherwise inspected. BEFORE the son is 21, U.S. citizen father must file both the I-130 and the I-485 with the fees. The son and his father should begin this process with an immigration attorney BEFORE the son becomes 21. Glen

Pacific Law, Inc., P.S. 3700 Pacific Hwy E. #306 Fife, WA 98424