Legal Question in Immigration Law in Washington

Married for 10 months but....

I was married to a citizen during my visa waiver visit and got my green card after marriage. Now my wife wants to divorce me, can I still stay in this country after my green card expires? I gave up my life to be here, but now, this happens, please help and advise. I also got a job and life here now. Thanks.

Asked on 6/01/08, 3:20 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Melina Merino Attorney Melina Merino
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Married for 10 months but....

If you divorce before your conditional residency expires, you will have to apply for a waiver of the joint filing requirement when submitting your petition to remove the conditions on your residency. You will have to show that the divorce is final and that the marriage was entered into in 'good faith' from the beginning of the marriage up until the point of separation. If you have any questions or need assistance regarding this matter, do not hesitate to contact me.

Read more
Answered on 6/05/08, 4:12 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Washington

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now