Washington  |  Wills and Trusts

My daughter died in a car accident three months ago. She was the at fault driver and two people were injured in the accident. My daughters auto insurance has already paid out what was due.

I hired a probate attorney as she had left no will to be appointed to administer her estate which basically consists of her investment portfolio.

My probate attorney informed me at the time that the other parties involved in the accident should be informed that there was a probate case pending. Is this required by law?

They had retained attorneys as they needed to find out who my daughters auto insurance carrier was and the information was provided by us.

Now it appears that our probate attorney has been in touch with the attorneys of the other parties and is in the process of negotiating a settlement. Which I assume means they want more money. For this purpose my attorney says he needs to know the full value of my daughters investment portfolio. Am I required by law to provide this information to anyone and if so who?

Is it a part of the probate attorneys role to involve himself beyond the probate procedure to be negotiating settlements ??

I am puzzled. Kindly clarify!

Thanking you in advance.