Legal Question in Veterans Law in West Virginia

My aunt is 93 yrs old- I have POA and am applying for A and A veterans assistance as she is a widow of a veteran. She has approx 53,000 in assets of which I am using to pay of assited living costs of 1,400.00 monthly. She has an income of 1,756 monthly minus 356.00 secondary insurance and minus 156.00 precriptions along with her monthly costs of living- utilities, groceries etc.. Because of her age and assets, I am concerned that she may not qualify as it may be presumed that she may not outlive her assets. I may add that her mother was 98 yrs old when she passed and that she has a 92 yr old sister. Should I apply for her? Thank you so much

Jill Mitchell Heard & Smith, LLP

You need to find an attorney who handles elder law and also knows veterans' law. I would suggest looking for members of NOVA (Nat'l Org. of Vet Advocates) who are also members of NAELA (Nat'l Ass'n of Elder Law Attys) or vice versa. Both websites have lists of their members. Good luck.

More Veterans Law questions and answers in West Virginia