Legal Question in Family Law in Wisconsin

My childrens father isn't allowed to see them his rights where suspended indefinitely and has made no attempt to take me back to court to see them and my kids would like my husband to adopt them They don't want anything to do with there biofather and he wont sign his rights. My kids are 12 years old do they have a say in what they want? How or can I make this happen?

David Kowalski Kowalski Family Law, LLC

The bio father's parental rights would first be terminated, then your husband could adopt the children. There are two ways to do that: the bio father could agree to terminate his rights or, if he does not agree, you could file a petition asking the court to terminate his rights and allow your husband to adopt. Either way, the process must be followed very carefully to avoid mistakes. I strongly recommend that you work with an experienced family lawyer to assist you.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Wisconsin