Legal Question in Family Law in Wisconsin

My husband bought a car before marriage but was not paid off until after marriage. Do I have the right to half the value of the vehicle if my name is not on the title?

Richard Missimer Missimer Law, S.C.

The statute states that it is a presumption that all property is marital unless it was a gift or inheritance. Certainly both of you can make a case for it. You would say that marital assets were used in its operation, insurance, and payments since you got together. He will say the value was set when you married and has decreased and all that has gone into it was operating expenses.

It will depend on what judge or commissioner you have, and how long the marriage has been. If just a year or two then likely its his. If it has been most of the cars life, then marriages.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Wisconsin