If you have been injured in an accident, you may be able to bring what is called a personal injury action against those individual(s) who caused your injuries.
When deciding whether or not to bring a case against those who caused or partially caused your personal injuries, there are several factors you should consider. One important thing to remember if you are considering bringing a case, you should meet with a personal injury attorney to discuss your options as soon as possible after you are injured. There are time limits to consider and a host of other complex issues that should be explained to you in detail by a reputable, knowledgeable lawyer.
There are several reasons for bringing a personal injury lawsuit against those who caused your injuries, known as defendants.
- Your medical expenses may be paid for.
- You may receive compensation for your lost wages (now and in the future).
- You may receive a financial award for pain and suffering.
- The funeral expenses may be paid for if a death was involved.
- Your spouse may receive compensation for the loss of your companionship
For all of these reasons, it may make sense to bring a personal injury case. If you never bring a lawsuit, you may never receive what you are entitled to.
While it may seem like a no-brainer to bring a personal injury action against someone who caused you physical and financial harm, there may be some reasons not to do so. For example:
- You life becomes an open book. The parties involved in the case will have complete access to your medical records, oftentimes dating back several years.
- You will be required to answer very detailed, written questions about yourself.
- If your case goes to trial, you likely will have to testify in court, which can be difficult
- The process may take months or years to reach a settlement
While there are cons to filing a personal injury case, know that you don’t have to go at it alone. Many believe that in order to save on legal fees, it is best to file a personal injury claim on an individual basis. However, this can often just make the process longer—not to mention more stressful.
Yes, there are many things to consider in a personal injury case, however, a personal injury attorney can help protect your rights. Consulting with a personal injury lawyer can provide you with support and advise you as to your legal options, and work by your side to get there.
Evan Fetterman is an experienced personal injury lawyer at Fetterman & Associates – The Law Team. The law team serves multiple locations across the state of Florida, including West Palm Beach, Port St. Lucie, Palm Beach Gardens, Jupiter, Stuart and more. Evan standing up for the rights of injury victims for 40 years. Mr. Fetterman is also a member of the LawGuru Attorney Network.