Legal Question in Family Law in Indiana

At what age does child support end in Indiana (especially in light of new laws regarding health care coverage)? Can teenage children (15 and 17) refuse visitation with the non-custodial parent, even though encouraged by the custodial parent? If the non custodial parent schedules summer time, and gives me visitation during a time period that I will be out of town (a 60 day notice was given to her of this time), am I entitled to make up time? Per our agreement, I get 4 weeks of the summer; she scheduled me for 28 days, but I am out of town for 10 of those days, working. Our agreement says my work "will be considered when scheduling parenting time."

Asked on 4/05/11, 5:23 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Burton Padove Indiana and Illinois Lawyer, Burton A. Padove

Child support ends at age 21 unless there is a prior emancipation. Children have no right to control parenting time and the custodial parent can be held in contempt. A court may require counseling since there may be emotional issues for the children that need to be dealt with as it is not normal for children to not want to see a parent. Unless your decree states otherwise, the Parenting Time Guidelines states that a non-custodial parent gets his or her choice of time, if notice is provided by April 1, if not, thecustodial parent gets to choose. You also are entitled to makeup time.

It sounds like you need to lawyerup as you have some time deadlines here and may not be able to get into court before the summer if you do not act now.

Read more
Answered on 4/06/11, 5:28 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Indiana