Legal Question in Traffic Law in California

I have a couple misdemeanors (wrong side of a state park sign, smoking in 150 feet of a state park), and a drug infraction (California). Not a pretty situation, I didn't ask to be in it (a friend was showing me around).

Nonetheless, I'm unfamiliar with the process. Is there any benefit to a no contest plea? I've never had more than a speeding ticket before.

Also, will this present any issue going back to Canada where I work and live with my partner (us resident living in Canada)?


Asked on 11/01/12, 9:01 pm

Experienced California Attorneys

At the Law Offices of Eslamboly & Barlavi we handle most types of Personal Injury Cases and Tort cases including: automobile, truck, motorcycle, pedestrian, bike, and slip and fall accidents, dog bites, wrongful death, legal malpractice, medical malpractice and products liability cases. We only get paid if we recover compensation for you. Visit our website or call 1-800-LAW-TALK.

For more information visit us at

1 Answer from Attorneys

Zadik Shapiro Law Offices of C. Zadik Shapiro

As a practical matter there is no difference between a guilty plea and a plea of no contest plea. (A no contest plea cannot be used as proof of guilt in a civil case.)

But your real problem may be getting back into Canada. The Canadians can be real sticklers on these matters. Before you enter a plea you must see an immigration attorney and get solid advice.

Read more
Answered on 11/01/12, 9:40 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in California