Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Alabama

My father passed last february and I was appointed administratrix of his estate account. My mother who had been separated from my father for 5 years raised such a fuss about me being appointed that I resigned. The estate money is still currently in my possession. My mother has went through two layers trying to get appointed since then and has not finished with either. It has been a year and a half that the money has just sat in this account without being touched. Is there a time limit to where I can legally take the money and split it between my sister and I legally or does it have to stay in the account untill some one eventually takes over? My sister and I no money from his life insurance or any other monies when he passed. I just need to know what I can do legally to help support us since I had to move her in with me and raise her after my fathers passing.

Asked on 7/26/12, 5:00 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

William Nolan Nolan Elder Law LLC

What does your own lawyer have to say about this? You must have had someone who filed the paperwork necessary to become appointed Administrator. He or she can advise you in this regard. The short answer though is that this is not your money, it is money belonging to the estate. Depending upon the county you are in, there may be a county administrator who can take over this matter.

Read more
Answered on 7/27/12, 6:20 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Alabama