Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Florida

My father passed away almost a year ago, leaving my mother, sister, and myself. I believe he had a will. His attorney had asked for my contact information stating that he would be in contact with me soon. I never heard anything from him even after sending another email asking if there was anything I needed to do or know. I have a bad relationship with my mother and sister and feel that they would intentionally keep me uninformed. I have not spoken with them regarding my father's estate.

I also heard recently that my father had purchased some savings bonds for my sons (his grandsons) and that my mother found them and was very upset that he had done that for them.

My question is...Do I have the right or obligation to see my father's will even if I may not have been a beneficiary? Should I contact his attorney, or my mother, and ask to see it, and also about the savings bonds?

Asked on 2/23/12, 12:19 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

I can respond to a point which might help:

1) If there is a Will, then attorney should have filed with the Probate Court in the county where he lived. It is required by law within 10 days of his death. If so, you should check with the county probate court to see if there is a case and documents filed. You could get copies of these documents. If it is not filed, and there is one the someone is refusing to file, a Petition to the Court can be done, and the Court can Order it to be filed.

2) You can check with the federal government under US Savings Bonds and do a search for savings bonds in your name. You may want to also check your fathers name. If a bond is there, even if lost, you can have it replaced.

3) You should see an attorney to see what else might be done.

Read more
Answered on 2/23/12, 12:25 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Florida