Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

I currently live in Georgia with my husband, son, and daughter. We have been Georgia residents for a year now. My daughter's biological father lives in Indiana, which is where I originally filed the custody case for her. I am originally from Indiana and my daughter was born there. However, my husband is in the military and we were moved to Georgia in 2011. My daughter's biological father was ordered to pay child support in 2009. Since that time he has made only one payment of $65 in December of 2009. He is now as least $7,500 behind. I want to pursue the child support. However, I want to try to have the case moved to the Georgia court system before I do this so that we don't have to keep driving back to Indiana for court. I was previously told that this shouldn't be a problem seeing as how my daughter and I are now Georgia residents. I currently don't have the money available to hire a new lawyer in Georgia. How do I go about filing a petition to have the case moved to Georgia?

Asked on 4/21/12, 8:52 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

Did you know that his failure to pay child support is a court martiable offense and he can be thrown in military prison and dishonorably discharged. That gives you great leverage. Use it. Speak to his commander. Some commanders fail to act, and in such a case go to their superior and report both of them. As a military dependent, you can receive assistance from military lawyers as well. Use that. You need to be more aggressive and proactive and use the leverage you have. Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 4/21/12, 3:01 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia