Legal Question in Family Law in New Jersey

I've been married for 9 years. My husband owned the house before we were married. House was re-financed shortly after marriage with both of our names on re-fi agreement, but only his name on deed. One attorney told me I'm entitled to a portion of the house, another told me I am not. He earns significantly more money than I do. He pays mortgage, but I have contributed to the household for the last 10 years living here. Please advise!

Asked on 5/08/12, 12:36 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Robert Davies The Davies Law Firm, P.A.

You may have a claim to any increase in value of the house, but with the downturn in the market this will mean very little.

There are a lot of issues to consider in divorce, and the house is only one. You live very close to my office right next to the Hackensack Courthouse. Let me know if you would like to come in and talk over your situation. I will explain what legal issues I see, and what I can do to assist you. I will also give you my best estimate of the cost for attorney's fees.

This will be a free consultation. After we talk, you can decide what you would like to do.

Give me a call, make an appointment to come see me, and let's get moving on this for you. No charge for the telephone call and no charge for the first office visit.

Robert Davies, Esq. 201-820-3460

The Davies Law Firm, P.A.

45 Essex Street, Suite 3 West

Hackensack New Jersey 07601

Phone: 201-820-3459

Fax: 201-820-3461

Email: [email protected]


Please keep in mind that my response is just a general comment on your question, and not legal advice. I have answered based upon the law of the State of New Jersey where I practice; the laws in other states may be very different, and may result in very different outcomes. Your question and any response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship between you and this law firm. The exact details of your situation and things that you have not mentioned in your question can completely change the response I gave. You can not rely upon what I have written as legal advice, because I do not have all of the information that I need to advise you, I only have the very small amount of information that you put into your question. To get legal advice that you can rely on and use, please contact me directly.

Read more
Answered on 5/08/12, 12:41 pm

Larry Raiken Larry S Raiken LLC

If marital funds were used for the upkeep of the house you are prbably entitled to an interest.Remeber that to sell the house your husband will need your signature.

Read more
Answered on 5/08/12, 12:44 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Jersey