Legal Question in Criminal Law in Georgia

I had a vehicle that I financed and got behind on payments after losing my job. When the finanace company couldn't find the vehicle a warrant was placed out for my arrest for Security Interest. When I found out about the waranty two days later I turned the vehilce in and was told by a rep from the finance company that the warrrant would be recalled. I turned the vehicle in April 2, 2012 and was still arrested for the charge on May 31, 2012. When I spoke to the finance co they said that although I turned the vehilce in I still commited a crime and the warrant is still valid. I never knew it was a crime when I wasn't paying my car payment. I was maybe 3 mos behind if that and my intentions were to make the payment once I could. I bailed out of jail and have a court date on Aug. 3rd, 2012. Please advise!

Asked on 6/02/12, 10:51 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Lawrence Lewis Lawrence Lewis, P.C.

Advise as to what? It is clear from question that you think you are entitled to drve a vehicle that you are not currently paying for IF you really need that vehicle to drive and you have lost your job. However, that is not the law. You agreed to pay, you didn't pay and you continued to drive the vehicle, that is a crime. If you have no prior record, your attorney may be able to work out something less than a conviction. If you do have prior arrests (not convictions) then you might be stuck.

Read more
Answered on 6/02/12, 12:39 pm

S. Carlton Rouse Rouse & Co., LLC

Feel free to contact my office for a consultation. We are committed to helping achieve the best results for our clients and are reasonable with respect to our fees.

You can find more information at:

Best of luck,

Read more
Answered on 6/02/12, 2:09 pm
Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

You breached a contract in not paying, and to end up witha criminal warrant, it sounds like you hid the car. At this point you need a criminal lawyer, and, since you also will likely get sued for a lot of money, see a bankruptcy lawyer.

Read more
Answered on 6/02/12, 3:17 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Georgia