Legal Question in Banking Law in India

Dear Sir,

I am living on rent.

My society maintenance charges cheque got bounce due to incorrect year as human error. later on they asked for a different cheque with 300Rs fine. I have given another cheque with fine. they have given receipt in the name of house owner. I have asked house owner about this, He said to stop the cheque as for the service they are giving is not good. Later on for the reason to pay it by cash by owner I have stopped it. Now due to stop payment they have send a legal notice to me as my cheque got bounce.

what are the consequences now about. what is the meaning and fine on stop payment bounce case.



Asked on 5/01/13, 5:05 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

KarVai Legal Solutions Rajiv Gupta 9811284735 Ch.No: 359, Western Wing, Tis Hazari, Delhi

you can pay the amount to satisfy legal notice.

Read more
Answered on 5/02/13, 12:50 am

Fca Prashant Chavan Expert Edge LLP


Dear Anu,

Since you are a lessee on leave and license, the Society will issue the receipt in the name of the owner of the flat and not in your name. Payment of Society maintenance charges is the responsibility of the Owner and you should tell your owner to pay it to the Society.


Read more
Answered on 5/02/13, 4:34 am
Jayesh Desai Jayesh Desai

Society will issue receipt & raise bills in the name of the member who is registered with them.

If it is your cheque which has bounced, you shall have to pay in cash or by any other means, otherwise you can be prosecuted.

As far as the fine is concerned, that may be a rule made by the Society, and which is uniform for all members.

Read more
Answered on 5/08/13, 11:05 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Banking Law questions and answers in India