Legal Question in Banking Law in India

meri mother ki death ko kuch din hue hai.mai father ko bi bachpan se kho chuki hu.thre is no support with me.i am married and living unhappy husband force me to open join account.i can not trust on husband and inlows.becoz i live in rent home and no id proof to save my gold?how to open my personal account?i dont neither have 50000rs in cash nor idproof with address for new locker opening. pls suggest me

Asked on 5/16/13, 9:22 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Mukesh Ralhan RALHANS - Immigration & Overseas Affairs Law Group

Dear Client,

Reserve Bank of India has issued guidelines to banks under Section 35A of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949 and the acceptable ID proofs are:

Legal name and any other names used

(i) Passport

(ii) PAN card

(iii) Voter's Identity Card

(iv) Driving licence

(v) Identity card (subject to the bank's satisfaction)

(vi) Letter from a recognized public authority or public servant verifying the identity and residence of the customer to the satisfaction of bank


Correct permanent address

(i) Telephone bill

(ii) Bank account statement

(iii) Letter from any recognized public authority

(iv) Electricity bill

(v) Ration card

(vi) Letter from employer (subject to satisfaction of the bank)

(any one document which provides customer information to the satisfaction of the bank will suffice)

A customer belonging to low income group who is not able to produce documents to satisfy the bank about his identity and address, can open bank account with an introduction from another account holder who has been subjected to full KYC procedure provided that the balance in all his accounts taken together is not expected to exceed Rupees Fifty Thousand (Rs. 50,000/-) and the total credit in all the accounts taken together is not expected to exceed Rupees One Lakh (Rs. 1,00,000/-) in a year. The introducerís account with the bank should be at least six months old and should show satisfactory transactions. Photograph of the customer who proposes to open the account and also his address needs to be certified by the introducer,

Now AADHAAR card is also acceptable form of ID to open bank accounts. The UIDAI ensures that its Know Your Resident (KYR) standards do not become a barrier for enrolling the poor and has accordingly developed an Introducer system for residents who lack documentation. Through this system, authorised individuals ('Introducers') who already have an Aadhaar, can introduce residents who don't have any identification documents, enabling them to receive their Aadhaar.

In the light of the above, you can open bank account with the help of AADHAAR or find someone who has bank account and is willing to introduce you.

In case you comply with any of the requirements above and the still bank refuses to open your account, please do not hesitate to contact me and I would be pleased to assist.

I sympathize with your situation and hope this helps.

Best Regards,


Read more
Answered on 5/16/13, 5:48 pm
Fca Prashant Chavan Expert Edge LLP


Dear Madam,

Aap agar bhaaday kay makaan may kaafee samay say rahatee ho toh makaan maalik aapko aapkay id proof banaanay may sahaayta de sakta hai. Aap us Bank may khata kholay jahaa locker facility hai, taakee khata kholnay say aapko locker bhi mil jata hai, aur sirf aapko saalana locker ka bhada dena padta hai.


Read more
Answered on 5/17/13, 4:43 am
Jayesh Desai Jayesh Desai

First open a joint account, and based on the same you can open a single account also.

Read more
Answered on 5/18/13, 8:40 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Banking Law questions and answers in India