Legal Question in Civil Rights Law in Canada

My neighbor is harassing me for over a year what can I do to stop it?

Asked on 4/28/20, 5:17 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Ronald Davidovic Law Ofc of Ronald Davidovic - 1-844-TRIALLAW

That's an easy one. Call the police or obtain a "peace bond" from a criminal court.

Anyone can apply for a peace bond under section 810 of the Criminal Code, which states that anyone "who fears on reasonable grounds that another person (a) will cause personal injury to them or to their intimate partner or child or will damage their property; or (b) will commit an offence" can obtain one. It's similar to a restraining order (which in Canada is generally for family members), where the offending party has to keep away and stop harassing you or they will be subject to punishment by the court.

You don't need a lawyer to file for one, though you can certainly turn to a lawyer if you feel more comfortable having someone hold your hand through the process. You might instead want to call your local legal aid office to see if they can offer direct guidance in your situation.

Read more
Answered on 4/29/20, 7:08 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Civil Rights Law questions and answers in Canada