Legal Question in Civil Rights Law in India

according to the provisions of CPC, sec 16, its provided that the suit would be tried where the property is situated or where the defendant resides or conducts a business. there is no provision stating about the plaintiff. please throw some light as to under what circumstances the suit can be tried where the plaintiff resides or conducts a business.


Asked on 6/12/13, 5:39 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Fca Prashant Chavan Expert Edge LLP


Dear Madam,

19. Suits for compensation for wrongs to person or movables.

Where a suit is for compensation for wrong done to the person or to movable property, if the wrong was done within the local limits of the jurisdiction of one Court and the defendant resides, or carries on business, or personally works for gain, within the local limits of the jurisdiction of another Court, the suit may be instituted at the option of the plaintiff in either of the said Courts.


Read more
Answered on 6/12/13, 6:00 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Civil Rights Law questions and answers in India