Legal Question in Civil Rights Law in India

Sir i lost my husband in 2011 in family harresment. iam from punjab and married at dharamshala(hp). after my husband death my in laws disturb me from all harrasement angle. i lock up my rooms and started living with my parents in punjab. i m blessed with a son . main apne sasur se apne bete ka haq maang rahi hu bt vo nahin dete upar se mere devar ka 50 lacs ka loan vo property bech kar chuka rahe hain. please mujhe advice do ki main kya karun

Asked on 9/26/13, 12:16 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Sudershan Goel Sudershan Goel - Advocate, International Visiting Scholar, USA [2008-10]

It may be a legal battle in courts. You may have to file a civil suit in the court demanding share of your son from the ancestral property, if any. However, your son may not have any right on self acquired property of your father in law.

You may also claim maintenance / alimony out of the joint family properties, if any.

Read more
Answered on 9/26/13, 7:12 pm

Fca Prashant Chavan Expert Edge LLP


Dear Madam,

Locking your room(s) and running away to your maternal place may not resolve the issue. You need to initiate a dialogue with your in-laws that they should be fair to both their sons, and negotiate that a portion of the proceeds of the house, if it be sold, be credited in the name of your son for his education and future.


Read more
Answered on 9/27/13, 4:23 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Civil Rights Law questions and answers in India