Legal Question in Constitutional Law in India


I'm Vishal Das, a Bengali student. I'm born in Manipur state. Manipur is a land inhabited by manipuris and different tribal groups.

My father's also born here. We have been living here since 1980s. My grandfather shifted from Bangladesh (when Bangladesh was a part of India before partition) to Manipur. Since then, we are living here for more than thirty years from 1980 onwards till date . I've birth certificate, voter id, school certificates, etc.

Recently, I went to Deputy Commissioner's office for issue of a fresh ''Domicile Certificate'' since my previous domicile certificate's validity got over. The staff members refused to issue domicile, stating that no domicile can be issued to 'outsiders' (non-manipuris & non-tribals) according to orders from higher authorities ( probably ministers). I told them that I'm domicile by birth and eligible to get the certificate. They suggested me to meet ADC (Assistant Deputy Commissioner) in office. I went and met him . He also refused to issue me domicile certificate , stating that it is the order from higher authority.

What do you think so?

I'm shocked and unable to gain domicile certificate. Kindly suggest me a way.

Asked on 1/10/14, 12:29 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Rajiv Gupta +91 9811284735 KarVai Legal Solutions

In case you have strong case you can approach high court you can file writ petition and seek appropriate remedy.

Read more
Answered on 1/10/14, 12:40 am
Setu Niket Curare Legal

Dear Mr.Das,

You can file a Writ Petition in the Guwahati High Court or in the Supreme Court of India. For legal assistance kindly contact me on 09873109672.

Kind Regards

Setu Niket


Curare Legal

Read more
Answered on 1/10/14, 1:51 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Constitutional Law questions and answers in India