Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Russian Federation

My brother is engaged to a lady from Kiev. She is stating that when her father left the family, they lost the house. She states her father sued her and received a $10k settlement. She has no paperwork regarding this and states it is against the law to provide paperwork until she pays the money. She has a work visa dated 8/25 and states she is not allowed to come until she pays the $10k. She is requesting the money from my brother. I have requested any paperwork available regarding the court case/info from embassy stating she can't travel until she pays this money.

Is this truly illegal to provide until she makes the payment? I am skeptical and will not loan the money until I have answers. Thank you!

Asked on 5/29/13, 8:57 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Sergey Naumkin Sergey Naumkin

No, not at all that it is against the law to provide paperwork (copies of court decision & enforcement order) from court to the parties of the case until the enforcement procedure finished and guilty party paid everything off. Moreover, Ukraine court system is quite open, they have the Unified State Register of Court Decisions where everybody can find latest decisions of Ukrainian courts.

Yes it could be temporary restriction court order that prohibits debtor to cross the Ukrainian border if he or she intends to go abroad.

And if you are quite sceptical about the whole situation that the best way before giving money to your brother fiancée could be finding a local lawyer to check the credibility a court order and obligations arising under it.

Read more
Answered on 7/12/13, 4:55 am

Related Questions & Answers

    A PHP Error was encountered

    Severity: Warning

    Message: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()

    Filename: views/new_publicquestionview.php

    Line Number: 164

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Russian Federation