Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in India

Dear Sirs,

My father passed away on 03 May 2013. After his death one of his friend came forward sating my father owes him a sum of 3.5 Lakhs. He doesnot have any clear paper or record for this amount. But he says he a blank cheque provided by my father. The query here is what will happen to the cheque and if the lender decides to take any legal action can he do it

Asked on 5/15/13, 12:32 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Vishwa Arya Arya & Co.

inform the bank about the death of father. cheque will be one without consideration

Read more
Answered on 5/15/13, 12:35 am

Fca Prashant Chavan Expert Edge LLP


Dear Sir / Madam,

You can ask him to show you the cheque so that you can verify its authenticity or whether it is forged. That person ought to have settled the issue with your father whilst he was alive. Since there is no way for the person to prove that the debt is still outstanding, and which in all likelihood will be false, you should disown it.


Read more
Answered on 5/15/13, 3:35 am
Jayesh Desai Jayesh Desai

Legally your friend cannot do anything. This cannot be enforced by law, based on the information provided by you.

Read more
Answered on 5/25/13, 2:09 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in India