Legal Question in Criminal Law in Canada

My 18 year old son who lives with myself, his mother was summoned to attend court in Halifax in 1 week for uttering death threats to his sister, my 19 year old daughter who moved to halifax in may of this year overy an arguement the two had during a phone call, which apparently she recorded. Do I need to hire a lawyer for him? We are at a complete loss as to what to do other than go to nova Scotia for the court date

Asked on 9/01/16, 10:39 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Kenneth Golish Golish, Kenneth W.

If you are summoned to court you either have to appear in person or hire a lawyer to appear on your behalf. This first court appearance is typically only the start of the process. A trial will certainly not take place that day, nor will anybody even be likely ready for a plea. Many lawyers will provide a free initial consultation. Contact a lawyer experienced in criminal law near you or in Halifax.

Read more
Answered on 9/02/16, 7:01 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Canada