Legal Question in Criminal Law in India


I have asked a similar question earlier but did not get any helpful response. So I am making the question more to the point this time not going into the actual incident in details that happened.Consider a girl put rape charges on a guy stating that they had conscentual sex several times and the guy had promised to marry her before that. Now 2 weeks had passed after all the incidents had happened and the guy refuses to marry her now. So she wants to put rape charges on him and wants to see him in prison for 20 years as per law. On the otherside the guy says they had sex but he never promised for marriage and neither she asked for it.There is no physical evidence of the two having sex as the girl did not report any such incident within 24 hours also there is no such evidence where it can be shown that the guy promised her on marriage(audio , video or witness in person).No injury marks was reported as well within 24 hours of having sex. The guy on the other hand says the girl use to ask from him money all the time and he had payed 20 to 30 k every month(in cash no evidence). Now she asked for 10 lakhs and threatened that if she did not get it in 10 days time she will put rape charges on him(again no video or audio evidence or witnesses). and he refused to pay so the girl is putting false allegations. Consider the guy to be telling truth for a while.My question is

1.If the guy can be put behind bars now based on just statement from the girl without any proof then does this not mean that we are in a law system which can be misused more rather than put to proper use and help the innocent?Please do not reply saying being on bail for an innocent person who has not committed any crime is absolutely fine and justified when there is no proof for the crime committed and simply based on word of mouth. Our indian society makes life difficult for people even on bail especially if you are a person in some office job. Ideally there should be no question of arrest or bail till any proof is provided.Word of mouth cannot lead to arrest or bail situation at all.So how can we find justice in our law system in this scenario?? Being on bail or being arrested cannot be justifed here.

Since the guy is a friend of mine whom I know well I made out he is telling truth from various incidents. There is no proof that the girl can show which says he promised to marry her or did forceful sex with her.

2.My second question is, ii there any law which can stop the guy from going into jail before anything is proved against him?

3. What punishment can the girl get if she is lying? What are the laws under which she can be booked?

Asked on 5/18/13, 9:45 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Shrichand Nahar S.V.Nahar, Advocate

1. May be. Make efforts for changing the law. Parliament is competent to change law.

2. No.

3. In accordance with law as per applicable sections.

Read more
Answered on 6/10/13, 2:30 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in India